Monday, September 22, 2008

"Amazing Mediocrity?"

I suppose I should explain the name I chose for this blog. I was watching Oprah about a year ago when Elizabeth Gilbert (the author of Eat, Pray, Love) said something about how we all have a personal mantra. It may not be a helpful one, but we all have one & it affects us, for good or ill. I thought for a moment and came to the realization that mine was "I am so retarded." Hm. Might want to rethink that one, I thought. So, on the advice of this woman on Oprah, I formed a new mantra. I decided my new personal mantra would be "I am amazing." Sounds boastful, but I actually think we're all amazing. We need to remember the divinity that is within us. The things we DO may not always be amazing, but we have so much amazing within us. We are given amazing talents, interests, passions, abilities. God loves us and thinks we're amazing. I KNOW we are each amazing in our own unique ways. It's incredible how many times I caught myself at first saying the old "mantra" in my head and having to correct it! I still have to catch myself occasionally, but not nearly so much anymore. "I am amazing. I may frequently do less than amazing things, but I am still amazing.

The mediocrity comes from my forgiving myself for the lack of perfection in all areas of my life. I have decided it is OKAY to be mediocre. If I am doing a bunch of amazing things to a mediocre level, always striving for improvement, but finding joy in the journey of life, I've decided I would so much rather do that than 1 amazing thing amazingly well. My life as an individual, a wife, and a mom with two beautiful daughters living in a much less than pristine home is an amazing up and down, mostly joyful, adventurous journey in mediocrity.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Cool! I haven't seen your blog until now (I just noticed you became a follower of mine and clicked on your blog). It's way cute. My feeling on life (in response perhaps to the "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" bumper sticker) is that a well lived and happy life does not always have to make for an exciting book plot. Well, I'm not sure that's the same kind of mediocrity you mean, but it works for me :)