2 years ago
Sunday, September 28, 2008
2-Year-Old Prayers
I LOVE April's nighttime prayers. For some reason, Alana has never liked saying prayer at bedtime. She's fine with blessings on the food, but for some reason - maybe she's too tired?, bedtime just is not conducive to praying for her. April, on the other hand, is excited to pray for any occasion - for a crowd or not. I don't think Alana's ever prayed for a group beyond our immediate family, but April will volunteer wherever we go and feels very slighted if she's not chosen (though sometimes she doesn't notice she wasn't chosen, and kind of mirrors the person praying, repeating all they say). Anyway, back to the bedtime prayers. April has been SO cute. Her most recent prayers are the shortest, but I love how she does it. She'll fold her arms and scrunch up her eyes, sitting up w/her back straight....."Dear Heavenly Father.......In the name?" (looking up at me quizically) um, usually we say thank you for something before we say 'In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen'. We're thanking Heavenly Father for all that we have and then we can ask him for things we need...What things are you thankful for today?..................(no answer)..Thank you..(I prompt) "Thank you for.....this day?" Um, hm, I say, nodding encouragingly "Thank you for this day. Thank you for....Nayfin?" (whispered) um hm..."Thank you for Nayfin" (April adores Nathan Adams and we were at a birthday party where she saw him that night. "In the name?" sure. "In the name?" Yes, that's fine "In the name of Jesus Christ, A-MEN!" She's always so proud of herself for praying. I love it. Sometimes Alana will help her, prompting things she can say, sometimes she comes up with spontaneous things to be thankful for on her own. I am so thankful for my girls.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
How funny. My girls are the same way. They don't mind saying the prayer at a meal, but not bedtime or family prayer time. I think they say it in church though.
Hey Emily--
E-mail me to let me know your address...I am curious how close you are to our house. I also would love to come see your chicken set-up someday...if you don't mind, let me know when it would be convenient for you.
allison_ogden_brown@yahoo
Post a Comment