I started a blog post last year mostly focused on this same topic, and while I like what I was writing, it's super long and still not finished, so that post will have to wait for another day. :)My girls & I recently watched the animated scripture video focusing on Lazarus. It showed Jesus meeting Mary and Martha, along with Lazarus, and spending time in their home. Mary always sat with the Savior and listened to his teachings while Martha busied herself cooking and cleaning. In the scriptures, Martha asks Mary to do more work and Jesus answers her that Mary had chosen the better of the two activities. I know that the spiritual aspect of things is of far more worth than the temporal, but I wonder if Martha weren't cooking/cleaning, how would it get done? Didn't they need food to eat and a clean, orderly house to spend their time in? Maybe Martha should have just saved the chores until after Jesus had left??
I'm definitely no skilled "Martha" but I feel that I really should be. My house is honestly a disaster. How do we balance the more "Martha" role of creating a "house of order" type home where the Spirit can dwell / feeding our families healthy foods, with the "Mary" role of feeding ourselves spiritually? I haven't managed to do ONE well, let alone both.
Any ideas?
2 comments:
Emily, Read this talk: http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=f5f3ee9ba42fe010VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD
If that link doesn't work, it's:
Choosing Charity: That Good Part
Bonnie Parkin
October 2003 General Conference
I'm glad you're blogging again. I just read a book about this scripture story. I loved all the angles it took, but I also agree with you. How do we today with kids and so many toys and such bigger areas to clean balance not being stressed when it's messy and also trying to keep it clean while focusing on spiritual things as well. My dilema right now is that I don't have the energy or stomach to keep my house clean and I'm normally a clean freak so I'm very ornery and stressed, but I'm trying to focus on the little important things in life instead and it's hard!
Post a Comment